Monday, March 14, 2011

I Like the Juice (Juice Juice)

While I was at the co-op grocery store today, I came across some juicing oranges. A juicing orange is one with lots of juice inside and relatively few seeds, so it will be heavier than a regular orange. I bought eight of them and decided I wanted to try to make orange juice.

Maybe a month or so ago, I inherited an electric juicer from... I don't remember. All I remember is that my husband brought it home one day for me. I thought it was kind of cool, stuck it in my cupboard and thought very little about it since.

Then today I pulled it out and made myself a little orange juice. I had no instructions, so I could already tell this was going to be an adventure, but it was actually very straightforward and easy. I cut two oranges in half and stuck the halves right on the juicer and watched as streams of yummy orange juice flowed down into the collection container. The two (smallish) oranges made about half a glass, so I think about four oranges per serving would be about right.

The juice was pretty good, but a little bit bland (I prefer tart orange juice). Of course, now that I know how easy it is to make orange juice, my next step will be making freshly squeezed lemonade, which will more than likely be amazing. Or perhaps I will make some citrus fruit blend with grapefruits and oranges and whatever else I find.

Nonetheless, I think we will be hearing more about my juicer creations in the near future.

In other news, I bought the stuff for my great-grandmother's hot cross buns, so I think I'll make them on Thursday this week. Also, I've been craving pizza like none other, so I think I'm going to check out the pizza recipe from Animal, Vegetable, Miracle sometime this week too.

EDIT: I made breakfast a few days later and had a full glass of orange juice (made with four oranges), and that was way too much! It dawned on me that it was like eating four oranges in addition to my breakfast. So, two oranges should be plenty for a small orange juice glass.

No comments:

Post a Comment